Measurement Guide For X-Back Harness
What You'll Need
- Fabric Measuring Tape
- Pencil/pen and paper
- Your dog
- Treats for your dog
- Preferably someone to assist you
Before You Start
Measuring your dog for a harness is a simple matter of sketching an imaginary harness on your dog's body. Here are some helpful tips to assure a perfectly fitting harness:
- Be sure your dog is standing straight and level with head up, looking forward and legs square. Be sure your dog is not hunched over or in a crouching position.
- It is helpful to have someone assist you while measuring your dog. They can distract your dog with treats or toys and keep their attention while you measure. They can make sure your dog is standing "square" (straight and looking forward), which will help you obtain consistent and accurate measurements.
- Using a SOFT measuring tape, measure the dog, not the fur. Be sure to pull the tape snug against your dog's body, particularly with dogs with heavy coats.
- When going from "Point to Point", keep a finger on each point. For example, when measuring Point A to B, then A to C, keep your finger on Point A, when doing both of these measurements.
- Do not pull the tape tight or the measurement will be short.
- Provide your dog's breed, build and weight if possible. This helps us determine if your measurements are correct. If we have a question regarding your measurements, we will contact you.
- Proper measurements are very important! Measure three times to be sure!
- Provide your dog's name if you wish it be sewn on to the harness free of charge. (Does not apply to READY-TO-GO SIZES)
Point A to Point B. Measure from top of breast bone in front (Point A), to the point of the withers at the base of neck (Point B). Measure one side only and double it for the measurement.
#2 Last Rib
Point A to Point C. Measure from the top of the breastbone (Point A), down between the front legs and up the side of your dog diagonally, toward the base of the tail. Take the measurement just behind the last rib (behind the rib cage, feel for it), (Point C).
Point C to Point D. Hold the tape at the last rib (Point C) and continue along the same line to the base of the tail (Point D). Be careful not to measure too long or the harness will pull down over the hips and restrict movement.
When submitting your X-Back Harness order, please remember the following: Submit three measurements for your dog:
- Neck, Last Rib and Length.
- Breed of dog and weight
- Your dog's name if you wish it sewn on the harness.